Dr. Suresh M. Joshi
- Ph.D. (1973) - Electrical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
- M.Tech. (1969) - Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute
of Technology, Kanpur,India
- B.Sc.Engg. (1967) - Electrical Engineering, Banaras University, India
Adjunct and Visiting Faculty Positions
- 1983-present: Senior Research Scientist (1983-97), and Senior Scientist for Control Theory (1997-pres),
NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA
- 1975-1983: Associate Research Professor, Electrical and Mechanical Engg,
Old Dominion University Research Foundation,
Norfolk, VA (Resident at NASA-Langley Research Center)
- 1973-1975: National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellow,
NASA-Langley Research Center
- 1972-1973: Control Systems Specialist Engineer, Stone and
Webster Engineering Corp., Boston, MA
- 1992-1993: Visiting Professor- Electrical and Mechanical Engg,
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- 1988-2003: Adjunct Professor, George Washington University
- NASA Distinguished Service Medal (2010)
- American Automatic Control Council- Control Engineering Practice Award (2009)
- IEEE Outstanding Engineer Award- Region 3 (South-Eastern USA) (2007)
- ASME Charles S. Draper Innovative Practice Award (Dynamic Systems & Control Division) (2006)
- IEEE Judith A. Resnik Award for contributions to space engineering (2003)
- Fellow-ASME (1998)
- IEEE Control System Technology Award (1995)
- Fellow-AIAA (1994)
- Fellow-IEEE (1993)
- NASA Floyd Thompson Fellow Award n(1992)
- NASA Dual Career Ladder Award (1992)
- Allen B. DuMont Prize, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY (1973)
Research Interests and Professional Activities
Primary research interests- Various aspects of multivariable control theory
and applications to advanced spacecraft and aircraft. Some past research contributions include:
novel decoupled fine-pointing control laws for space-based systems that require sub-arc-second accuracy;
fundamental robust control theory for flexible space structures; globally stable closed-loop maneuvering
and attitude control laws for nonlinear multibody flexible spacecraft and manipulators; and energy-extracting
active control methods for noise reduction. Served as a key technical leader in the Control-Structure
Interaction(CSI) program, which incorporated the concepts and results to produce a
new methodology for integrated design of spacecraft that are optimal with respect to structural design
as well as control system design.
Recent and current research- Control of systems under dynamics uncertainties, anomaly,
and failures, with applications to aircraft. In particular, co-developed new direct adaptive control
schemes that enable stable control in spite of anomaly such as unknown actuator failures
(e.g., stuck control surfaces, hydraulics failures, engine failure), icing, and
structural damage, occurring at unknown instants of time.
Publications- Over 210 technical publications
including 3 books and 5 book chapters.
Professional Activities- Served in many active leadership roles in the IEEE, AIAA,
and ASME; several editorial boards (journals and conferences), governing boards, technical- and program-
committees, panels, and steering committees. As an amateur cartooninst, regularly contributed
of the Out of Control technical cartoons in the IEEE Control Systems Magazine
Non-controls technical interests include Digital signal processing
(incl image and speech Processing); Digital communications; Satellite, wireless, and cellular communications;
Pattern recognition; Robotics; Active control of noise; and Cross-discipline applications of system theory.
- Kelkar, A.G. and Joshi, S.M.: Method and System to Perform Energy-Extraction Based Active Noise Control.
United States Patent No. 7623993, November 2009.
- Joshi, S. M.: Control of Large Flexible Space Structures. Springer-Verlag: Berlin, Heidelberg, New York,
Vol. 131,Series on Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences, 1989, ISBN 3-540-51467-8, 196 pages.
- Kelkar, A. G. and Joshi, S. M.: Control of Nonlinear Multibody Flexible Space Structures. Springer-Verlag:
London, Berlin, Heidelberg, Vol. 221, Series on Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences, 1996,
ISBN 3-540-76093-8, 141 pages.
- Tao, G., Chen, S., Tang, X., and Joshi, S. M.: Adaptive Control of Systems with Actuator Failures
Springer-Verlag: London, 2004, ISBN 1-85233-788-5, 299 pages.
Selected Book Chapters
- Joshi, S. M., and Kelkar, A. G.: Control of Flexible Space Structures. in: CRC Controls
Handbook (W. L. Levine, Ed.), CRC Press- Times Mirror Books, 1996.
- Joshi, S. M.: Control of Large Space Structures Using Annular Momentum ControlDevices. Book chapter in:
Spacecraft Pointing and Position Control, NATO-AGARDO'GRAPH No. 260, November 1981.
Selected Recent Papers (2008-2011)
- Joshi, S. M., Tao, G., and Patre, P.: Direct Adaptive Control Using an Adaptive Reference Model.
International Journal of Control , vol. 84, No. 1, January 2011, pp 180-196.
- Liu, Y., Tao, G., and Joshi, S. M.: “Modeling and Model Reference Adaptive Control of Aircraft
with Asymmetric Damage”, AIAA J. Guidance, Control, and Dynamics , vol. 33, No. 5,
September-October 2010, pp. 1500-1517.
- Liu, Y., Tang, X., Tao, G., and Joshi, S. M.: “Adaptive Compensation of Aircraft Actuation Failures
Using an Engine Differential Model”, IEEE Trans Control Sys Technology , September 2008,
- Patre, P., and Joshi, S. M.: “On Using Exponential Parameter Estimators with an Adaptive
Controller”, 2011 IEEE Multi-Conference on Systems and Control, Denver, CO, Sep 28-30, 2011.
- Patre, P., and Joshi, S. M.: “Accommodating Sensor Bias in MRAC for State Tracking”,
2011 AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Portland, OR, Aug 8-11, 2011.
- Patre, P., and Joshi, S. M.: “Decentralized Adaptive Control of Systems with Uncertain
Interconnections, Plant-Model Mismatch and Actuator Failures”, 2011 American Control Conference,
San Francisco, June 30- July 1,2011.
- Sun, J., and Joshi, S. M.: “An Indirect Adaptive Control Scheme in the Presence of Actuator
and Sensor Failures”, Proc. 2009 AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Chicago,
IL, Aug 10-13, 2009.
- Joshi, S. M., Tao, G., and Khong, T.: “A Direct Adaptive Control Approach in the Presence of
Model Mismatch” , Proc. 2009 AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Chicago, IL,
Aug 10-13, 2009.
- Tao, G., and Joshi, S. M.: ““Direct Adaptive Control in the Presence of Actuator Failures-
State of the Art and Continuing Challenges”, Proc. 2008 AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference,
Honolulu, HI, Aug 18-21,2008.
Phone Book Entry:
Suresh M. Joshi
Dynamic Systems and Control Branch
NASA Langley Research Center
Hampton, VA 23681-2199
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +1 757/864-6608
Modified March 17, 2011